The Executive Council of Abu Dhabi Emirate issued a Decree approving the establishment of ‘Abu Dhabi Environment, Health and Safety Center” on 2nd February 2010. Abu Dhabi EHS Center aims to:
- – Oversee and monitor the implementation Abu Dhabi Emirate Environment, Health and Safety Management System.
- – Manage occupational Health and Safety Issues. – Provide and maintain a complete regulatory framework at Emirate level. – Drive integration of EHS Requirements within different sectors.
- – Support the development of EHS capacity within the Emirate.
- – Implement various projects related to the system.
Responsibilities of the Center:
• Following up the implementation of AD EHSMS and monitoring through inspection and auditing, if required.
• Overseeing all issues related to occupational health and safety.
• Coordination and cooperation with all sectors, government entities and semi government entities on issues relate to EHSMS.
• Review and approval of Sectors, Government Entities, and Semi Government Entities EHSMS according to AD EHSMS requirements.
• Set the necessary plans to update AD EHSMS for continual improvement.
• Report to the Executive Council on EHSMS performance.
• Develop and implement awareness programs and incentives to promote system implementation.
Support System Development and Implementation:
• Provide a guidance document on development of EHSMS.
• Provide a guidance document on EHS organizational structures in entities.
• Provide a detailed gap analysis on submitted systems and granting final approval when the system meets requirements.
Raising Capacities and Awareness
• Provide training on EHSMS for Government Entities to facilitate system development and implementation.
• Participation in workshops organized by sectors to raise awareness in AD EHSMS requirements.
• Qualifying training institutes to provide training for EHS professionals and auditors on AD EHSMS after certification of AD EHSMS Training modules by an international body.
• Qualifying EHS officers in the Emirate to ensure compliance with system requirements.
• Issuance of a quarterly newsletter on EHS issues.
• Launch a three phase awareness campaign during 2010-2011 and set specific awareness programs at later stages.
Registration of EHS Consultants:
• Setting new criteria for registration of EHS consultants in coordination with EAD and implementing it in July 2010. This will ensure quality in performance of EHS Consultants.
• Registration of Auditors
• Setting criteria to register EHS auditors, since annual third party auditing is a requirement of the system.
EHS Electronic Database
• Establishment of an EHS database that will link the Center with all sectors and government entities to provide a complete database source on EHS incidents and EHSMS performance.
• Preparation for an international EHS conference in Abu Dhabi every two years with the participation of several international organizations having best practices in the EHS field.
• Participation in regional and international conferences to exchange information.
• Coordination with international organizations for cooperation in relevant fields and exchange of experiences, this includes Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Institute for Occupational Health and Safety (IOSH) and others.
• Establishment of an EHS Award as an incentive to all entities for the purpose of encouraging continuous improvement in system implementation.